A Showtime VPN comes in handy when traveling abroad because the streaming service doesn’t work in New Zealand and its territories. The VPN makes sure that you can watch Showtime no matter where you are on vacation—in Africa, Europe, Asia, or any other place. Without it, you’ll get this heartbreaking error message. “Access to this resource is forbidden by access policy.”
This Showtime error means you cannot watch anything on the platform because of your location. But the good news is, you can use the best VPN for Showtime to stream City on a Hill, X, or anything else on the platform while abroad.
After extensive testing, we have found ExpressVPN to be the best Showtime VPN, and you can even use it to subscribe to the service. The best thing about ExpressVPN is its ease of use, as demonstrated next.
Read on further on how to access Showtime with VPN wherever you are.
Showtime VPN: How to Watch Showtime with a VPN in New Zealand [4 Easy Steps!]
Do you want to know how to watch Showtime with a VPN? The process of using a Showtime VPN is simple, and these are the four steps to follow:
- Subscribe to the best VPN for Showtime. ExpressVPN is our recommended Showtime VPN due to its reliable connections.
- Download and install the VPN on your streaming device.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a server in the United States. New York is our favorite Showtime server.
- Go to the Showtime website, log in and start streaming.
Note: We have a detailed analysis of the five best VPNs for Showtime for those who’d like to go through a few options. Alternatively, you can check the Showtime cost if you’re satisfied with ExpressVPN.
In the meantime, here’s a quick look at the best Showtime VPNs.
Best Showtime VPN to Watch it in New Zealand [Quick Summary]
We’ve demonstrated how to access Showtime with VPN, specifically ExpressVPN. But there are four more VPNs that unblock the streaming service in New Zealand, and here’s a quick summary of each:
- ExpressVPN – the best Showtime VPN thanks to its reliable servers for bufferless streaming and zero server disconnections. It also uses the Lightway protocol and MediaStreamer to cover a wide range of devices and make sure they work well.
- Surfshark – the affordable Showtime VPN available for NZD 3.57 /mo (US$ 2.21 /mo ) (Save 83% on a 24-month subscription). The VPN has consistent speeds and unlimited simultaneous connections.
- NordVPN – fastest Showtime VPN, with 93.42Mbps download speed on a 100Mbps connection.
- CyberGhost – has the largest number of VPN servers to watch Showtime in New Zealand. Choose from 6000+ servers in 91+ countries.
- PureVPN – a reliable VPN for Showtime thanks to its fine-tuned tunneling protocols, such as the OpenVPN protocol.
A quick tip: Do you have to pay for Showtime with a VPN? Yes, Showtime requires every payment to come from the United States, so a VPN is a must.
Have you ever asked yourself why you can’t access Showtime while abroad? The following section explains why.
Does Showtime Work with VPN? Why Do You Need a VPN for It?
You’ll struggle to access your favorite Showtime content abroad because the service only works in the United States. Showtime is a geo-restricted streaming service because of content licensing and distribution agreements.
Showtime uses a system that restricts anyone with a non-US IP address, which you’ll lose every time you step out of the country. This error message comes across your screen when you try to access Showtime abroad:
A VPN hides your current non-US IP address and replaces it with one from the server you select. This means you’ll receive a US IP address when you connect to any VPN server in the US. The VPN then encrypts your traffic, making it impossible for Showtime to know where you are.
For example, ExpressVPN is our preferred choice, and New York is our favorite Showtime server. Let’s move straight into the five best VPNs to watch Showtime from abroad in 2023.
5 Best Showtime VPNs to Watch in New Zealand in 2023 [Detailed Analysis]
As VPN aficionados, it would only be fair to test every VPN with Showtime, and we’ve done just that. Following extensive testing, we selected the following candidates:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN to Watch Showtime in New Zealand
- Trust Pilot Rating: 4.7
- 20+ US server locations
- 92.26Mbps download speed and 89.45Mbps upload speed on 100Mbps connection
- 5 simultaneous connections
- Compatible devices: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Kindle Fire, Chromebook, Routers
- Best price: NZD 10.78 /mo (US$ 6.67 /mo ) (Get 3 Months FREE with annual subscription!)
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to watch Showtime due to its reliable server network. You’ll get the best streaming experience because the servers never slow down your speeds to cause buffering and, most importantly, any server disconnections. The VPN has 3000 servers in 94 countries that can unblock Showtime.
We got a first-hand experience of what ExpressVPN does when streaming American Gigolo and The L Word: Generation Q. The stream didn’t buffer once at the highest video setting.
ExpressVPN will meet your streaming needs when you want to watch Showtime in New Zealand. We’ve used the VPN to watch Showtime in Mexico, watch Showtime in Malaysia, and watch Showtime in Spain. It has a trick up its sleeve known as MediaStreamer, which makes it possible to enjoy Roku Showtime or Showtime Xbox.
The VPN doesn’t slow down your connection, and we usually get 92.26Mbps download speed and 89.45Mbps upload speed on a 100Mbps connection.
Get ExpressVPN for NZD 10.78 /mo (US$ 6.67 /mo ) (Get 3 Months FREE with annual subscription!) and get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 24/7 Customer Support via live chat and email
- Added security layer for handling Log4Shell vulnerability
- Unblock BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, and other platforms
- Faster and reliable speeds
- Total privacy with a strict no-logs policy and best-in-class encryption
- Guaranteed no server disconnections
- Zero buffering
- It doesn’t offer phone support
- Expensive plans
- New York
- Washington DC
- New Jersey
2. Surfshark: Pocket-Friendly VPN to Watch Showtime in New Zealand
- Trusted Pilot Rating: 4.5
- 600+ US servers
- 88.48Mbps download speed and 79.42Mbps upload speed on a 100Mbps connection
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Compatible devices: Windows, Android, Linux, iOS, macOS
- Best price: NZD 3.57 /mo (US$ 2.21 /mo ) (Save 83% on a 24-month subscription)
Surfshark is the most affordable Showtime VPN available for a measly NZD 3.57 /mo (US$ 2.21 /mo ) (Save 83% on a 24-month subscription). The VPN has 3200 servers in 100 countries, with 600+ in the United States.
Does Surfshark work with Showtime? Yes, Surfshark works with Showtime for trouble-free streaming from abroad and protects your connection with next-level security features.
We connected to the Atlanta Surfshark server and had a great time streaming American Rust and the highly-praised George & Tammy.
The Surfshark US servers are robust enough to meet your expectations while you watch Showtime in Netherlands and Cyprus. Additionally, the VPN has a Smart DNS feature for VPN-incompatible devices like WebOS TVs, Firestick, and Chromecast.
You get reliable speeds to meet your streaming expectations with 88.48Mbps download speed and 79.42Mbps upload speed on a 100Mbps connection.
Surfshark has multiple security features, notably 256-bit encryption, Multi-Hop, and a lightweight yet powerful antivirus.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Advanced security features
- 24/7 customer support
- Stop ads with CleanWeb
- Slower connections than competitors
- Lacks phone support
- Limited P2P servers
Not Recommended Servers
3. NordVPN: Fastest VPN to Watch Showtime in New Zealand
- Trust Pilot: 4.5
- 1970+ US servers
- 93.42Mbps download speed and 87.68Mbps on a 100Mbps connection
- Six simultaneous connections
- Compatible devices: macOS, iOS, Linux, Android, and Windows
- Best Price: NZD 8.87 /mo (US$ 5.49 /mo ) (Avail 65% off & get 3 months free on a 2 year subscription)
NordVPN is the fastest VPN to watch Showtime in New Zealand, with blazing-fast download speeds of over 90Mbps. This VPN has the fastest connections, with excellent speeds from its vast US network of 1970+ servers and more than 5500 servers in 60 countries worldwide.
We experienced that when connected to the Atlanta #5011 server to stream Work In Progress, and Your Honor. NordVPN’s unblocking capability can’t be questioned, as we used it to watch Showtime in Germany and to watch Showtime in Italy, and it didn’t let us down.
NordVPN clocks the best speeds with 93.42Mbps download speed and 87.68Mbps on a 100Mbps connection.
NordVPN has unique security features like Meshnet for traffic routing and Threat Protection for avoiding online hazards like infected websites, trackers, viruses, etc. The VPN has the SmartPlay feature, which allows streaming on devices such as Roku, Xbox, Firestick, Smart TVs, etc.
Get NordVPN for NZD 8.87 /mo (US$ 5.49 /mo ) (Avail 65% off & get 3 months free on a 2 year subscription).
- Based in Panama, so there’s no data retention law
- Dedicated IP used by a single person
- Obfuscated servers that mask your connection for maximum security
- Enhanced gaming experience
- 24/7 support
- Doesn’t offer a free trial
- Requires patience when connecting or switching servers
- Atlanta (#5011 & #3965)
- Chicago (#2965 & #3185)
- Dallas (#3755 & #4637)
- Miami (#3507 & #2825)
Not Recommended Servers
4. CyberGhost: Largest Number of VPN Servers to Watch Showtime in New Zealand
- Trusted Pilot Review: 4.5
- 1350+ US servers
- 75.47Mbps download speed and 39.48Mbps upload speed
- 7 simultaneous connections
- Compatible devices: Mac, Android, Windows, iOS, Linux
- Best Price: NZD 6.45 /mo (US$ 3.99 /mo ) (4 Months FREE with a 3-year subscription!)
CyberGhost is the VPN with the largest number of servers to watch Showtime in New Zealand. The VPN has a whopping 1350+ servers in the United States, with 6000+ servers overall. These servers allow subscribers to watch US and international content and are dedicated to data-intensive activities like streaming.
We connected to the VPN server and watched a few Ziwe and The Chi episodes. CyberGhost’s US servers also helped us access Showtime or other US-only streaming services. We used the VPN to watch Showtime in Spain and watch Showtime in Poland.
The VPN delivers a connection speed of 75.47Mbps download speed and 39.48Mbps upload speed on a 100Mbps network.
CyberGhost has ironclad security, including an automatic Kill Switch that cuts off your online traffic to ensure your data isn’t exposed. It also has AES 256-bit encryption, which is a must-have in the VPN industry.
CyberGhost is available for NZD 6.45 /mo (US$ 3.99 /mo ) (4 Months FREE with a 3-year subscription!) and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Doesn’t collect or keep data logs
- Wide range of servers to choose
- Dedicated servers for streaming Showtime
- Secure encryption and updated protocols
- It doesn’t support P2P on mobile
- Limited features for mobile devices
- New York
5. PureVPN: Reliable VPN for Showtime in New Zealand
- Trusted Pilot Rating: 4.7
- 1800+ US servers
- 70.35Mbps download speed and 33.88Mbps upload speed
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Compatible devices: Mac, Android, Windows, iOS, Linux
- Best Price: NZD 0 /mo (US$ /mo )
PureVPN is a reliable VPN for Showtime in New Zealand. It is a good VPN to use if you want to watch Showtime outside of the U.S. It has a good server network and good speeds, and it always works to unblock the streaming service.
We put PureVPN’s reliability to the ultimate test, and the VPN didn’t fail us as we streamed Yellowjackets and The Lincoln Project in HD. PureVPN’s unblocking capability guarantees you can watch Showtime in Poland or watch Showtime in Netherlands.
The VPN’s speeds are fast enough for Showtime streaming, and we tested it on our 100Mbps connection, delivering 70.35Mbps download speed and 33.88Mbps upload speed.
PureVPN has a VPN app for common operating systems like Windows, iOS, Mac, Linux, and Android and supports ten multi-logins.
A PureVPN connection has IPV6 Leak Protection, DNS Leak Protection, Internet Kill Switch, and Split Tunneling. Get PureVPN for NZD 0 /mo (US$ /mo ) .
- Improved privacy features
- Consistency in unblocking Showtime
- Dedicated IP address
- VPN Hotspot
- Some US servers won’t unblock Showtime
- Slow servers that take time to connect
Not Recommended Servers
[Methodology] How to Select and Test the Showtime VPN?
Choosing the best Showtime VPN should be a meticulous process, as most VPNs don’t have what it takes to unblock the streaming service easily. Here are the factors we looked at to settle on the VPNs mentioned above:
|Servers||Since Showtime only works in the United States, the VPN must have multiple servers in the US.|
|Unblocking Capability||A VPN can have many US servers, but do they unblock Showtime from every country? The servers must have the excellent unblocking capability.|
|Speed||A VPN isn’t any good if it can’t deliver speeds for an uninterrupted streaming experience. We did a number of speed tests to find the VPNs with the fastest connections so that you don’t have to experience buffering.|
|Logging Policy||We checked the logging policies of the five VPNs and confirmed that they do not log user data.|
|Price||The best VPN should offer value for money, like simultaneous connections, multiple security features, free trials, a money-back guarantee, etc.|
We looked at all these factors to find ExpressVPN, Surfshark, NordVPN, CyberGhost, and PureVPN, but can you use a free VPN? The following section answers that question.
Can I Use Free VPN to Unblock Showtime in New Zealand?
You shouldn’t use a free VPN to unblock Showtime in New Zealand because the experience you get isn’t the same as a paid one. Free VPNs lack robust encryption protocols, multiple servers, and unlimited bandwidth. Free VPNs aren’t worth it because they have bandwidth caps, slow speeds, and weak encryption.
It’s also great to note that free VPNs aren’t entirely free because they have to make money to keep their servers running and pay salaries. So, since you’re paying for the service, you’re the product. Free VPNs sell user data, and users are bombarded with ads when they connect to a free VPN.
Free VPNs track and record user data, which they sell to advertising companies. Malware has been found on devices used by people with free VPNs, so the best thing to do is to stay away from them.
Now that you know free VPNs are a no-go, are there paid VPNs to avoid? Let’s find out next.
Which VPNs should I Avoid to Access Showtime in New Zealand?
People always use a VPN to stay private and anonymous online, so it should always keep user data safe. You shouldn’t use a VPN that goes against this mandate, and for this reason, you should avoid these two VPNs:
Hola is an Israel-based VPN extension for Chrome browsers that once had nearly 50 million users worldwide. But the VPN turned the computers it was installed on into a botnet army that was used to do illegal things online, like promote pirated content, launch DDoS attacks, and send out porn.
Betternet is a free US-based VPN that logs user data, including real IP addresses, locations, bandwidth consumed per session, the device used, and connection timestamps. The company behind Betternet, Aura, claims the collected information can’t be linked to any user activity, but it cannot be trusted.
With this information in hand, we’re sure you’re raring to learn how to subscribe to Showtime in New Zealand. Well, you don’t have to wait any longer, because you’ll find the information next.
How to Subscribe to Showtime with a VPN in New Zealand?
You can subscribe to Showtime while abroad with a VPN just like you would back home, i.e., with your US payment details. Here are several ways to subscribe to Showtime in New Zealand with a VPN:
How to Get Showtime Subscription in New Zealand from Showtime.com? [Showtime Website]
Get your US-based credit card and billing information ready and follow the steps below to pay for Showtime with a VPN through the website:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN provider. ExpressVPN is our number one choice.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app.
- Connect to a server in the US. We recommend the New York Showtime server.
- Go to the Showtime website on a mobile device or computer.
- Click “Start Your Free Trial” and follow the instructions.
- Provide your billing information and sign up for a Showtime free trial.
- Start streaming your favorite Showtime movies and shows.
Note: You will be charged after the thirty-day trial period ends, but you can cancel Showtime subscription before this period ends if you don’t want to pay for the service. Gift cards work with Showtime while abroad, as we’ll demonstrate next.
How to Get Showtime Subscription in New Zealand Using Gift Card? [Showtime Gift Card]
This method is mostly used by Showtime fans living in New Zealand. Simply purchase a gift card online and enter it into your account. But you still need a VPN for this method to work, as follows:
- Go to Amazon or MyGiftCardSupply.com and buy a Showtime gift card.
- The gift card is sent to the email address you provided as a code.
- Launch ExpressVPN and connect to a US server.
- Go to the official Showtime website.
- Click on “Start Free Trial.”
- Select the gift code redemption option.
- Key in the gift code sent to your email and click “Redeem.”
- Follow the prompts and create a new Showtime account.
- That’s it! You now have a valid Showtime account and you can start streaming.
Another way to pay for a Showtime account is via an Apple account, and the next part has the steps to follow.
How to Get Showtime Subscription in New Zealand on iOS? [Pay via iTunes]
Showtime lets users buy things inside the app, so they can use their iTunes account to pay for the streaming service.
Here are the steps to follow:
- ConfigureExpressVPN on your Apple TV through MediaStreamer.
- Select Showtime on the Apple TV menu.
- Choose the “free trial” option and enter your iTunes logins.
- Provide the credentials and create a new password for your Showtime account.
- Choose your preferred subscription, monthly or yearly.
- Complete the subscription process, sign in, and start streaming.
That’s how to subscribe to Showtime but how much does the service cost? Get this information next.
How Much Does Showtime Cost?
Here’s how much Showtime costs as a standalone service through the official website, through Hulu, or through Prime Video:
|Showtime Standalone||$10.99 per month with a 30-day free trial|
|Showtime via Hulu||$10.99 per month with a 7-day free trial|
|Showtime via Prime Video||$10.99 per month with a 7-day free trial|
Showtime has a free trial, but the duration depends on how you sign up for the service. Learn more in the next paragraph.
Is there any Free Trial for Showtime Subscription?
Yes, there’s a Showtime free trial for thirty days, but only when you sign up for the service on the official website. This free trial is only available for new subscribers, and you can cancel before this period is over to avoid being charged. To know more about Showtime deals and offers you can check our in-depth guide on Showtime free trial.
How to get free Showtime using VPN? Subscribe to ExpressVPN and sign up to Showtime. New subscribers get a seven-day free trial when they sign up for the service on Hulu or Prime Video.
Is Showtime on Hulu the same as Showtime? Yes, Hulu and Prime Video’s Showtime is the same as the normal service, so you can use your Hulu or Prime Video for it. There are more ways to buy Showtime, as explained next.
On Which Streaming Services can I Watch Showtime Online?
Amazon Prime adds Showtime to your subscription, while the others give you various lengths of free trials. You can get Showtime through the following streaming services:
- Prime Video Channels
- Apple TV
- The Roku Channel
- YouTube Primetime Channels
- YouTube TV
In the next heading, you can see Showtime’s compatible devices.
Which Devices are Compatible to Watch Showtime in New Zealand
You can stream Showtime on these devices in New Zealand after you connect a VPN:
The next series of headings have the exact installation steps for these devices.
How Do I Watch Showtime on My Phone in New Zealand? [Android, iOS]
Here are the steps to bypass Showtime’s restrictions on a mobile device running iOS or Android:
- Sign up with a reliable VPN provider. ExpressVPN is our number one choice.
- Launch the VPN app and connect to a US server.
- Create a new Google Account or Apple ID with the US as your location.
- Go to the Showtime website or app and enjoy.
Showtime also works on Windows and Mac devices, as shown in the next heading:
How Do I Watch Showtime on PC in New Zealand? [Windows, Mac]
Follow these steps if you prefer to watch Showtime on a Windows or Mac device:
- Download and install a fast and reliable VPN. ExpressVPN is the best Showtime VPN.
- Connect to a server in the United States.
- Go to the Showtime app or website and sign in.
- Enjoy your streaming experience on a Mac or Windows computer.
What about streaming sticks like Firestick, Roku, and Kodi? Do they work with Showtime?
How Do I Watch Showtime on Streaming Devices in New Zealand? [Roku, Firestick, Kodi]
Showtime works on many streaming devices, including Firestick, Roku, and Kodi. However, most of these devices aren’t VPN-compatible, but you can follow these steps to stream Showtime in New Zealand:
- Create an account with a VPN with reliable US servers. ExpressVPN is our number one choice.
- Configure ExpressVPN on your Wi-Fi router with the US as your location.
- Connect your streaming device to your big-screen TV.
- Turn on your TV and launch the Showtime app.
- Have a blast streaming your Showtime favorites.
The following section will teach you about common Showtime errors and quick fixes.
Why is Showtime not Working with VPN? [Easy Fixes!]
Using a VPN has unique challenges, like the Showtime not working issue. But don’t be concerned if this happens to you; we have quick fixes for the Showtime app not working.
- Enable leak protection to stop IP/DNS leaking, including when your browser is revealing your real location.
- Switch to a different VPN if your current one doesn’t have what it takes to unblock Showtime.
- Try a new web browser if your current one keeps crashing or displaying a black screen while streaming.
- Clear the cookies from your browser to get rid of location-revealing bits of data.
- Switch to a different VPN server if the current server starts developing issues.
- Contact customer support if your VPN app starts misbehaving.
If the above steps don’t work then check out the detailed guide on Showtime not working fixes where each and every fixing method is discussed in detail.
Are there viable VPN alternatives? Let’s find out!
What are the Alternatives to using a VPN to Stream Showtime?
We like using a VPN to watch Showtime because it not only provides the best performance but also secures your connection with the best encryption. However, there are VPN alternatives, as follows:
- Smart DNS: This method redirects your connection through a special server, which allows you to access Showtime without changing your IP address. This method might be quick, but it isn’t as safe, so your traffic could be hacked.
- Proxy servers: a proxy server is a stripped-down version of a VPN and only changes your location and IP address. However, you get snail speeds, which aren’t sufficient for streaming Showtime.
A VPN provides the best Showtime unblocking capability, but is there anything good to watch on the platform? Let’s find out.
What Can I Watch on Showtime?
Showtime offers a wide library of exciting content across different genres. Here’s what to watch on Showtime in New Zealand:
|Showtime Shows||Showtime Movies|
|Your Honor Season 2||Murder in Big Horn|
|Couples Therapy||The 12th Victim|
|City on a Hill||Green Room|
|Super Pumped||The Farewell|
|Dexter: New Blood||Minari|
|We Hunt Together||Lady Bird|
Why is Showtime restricted?
Is Showtime free with Amazon Prime?
Is there a difference between SHOWTIME and SHOWTIME Anytime?
Does Showtime work on FireTV?
Is Showtime streaming service worth the price?
Choosing a Showtime VPN isn’t easy, and that’s why we’ve created this guide.
Showtime is a premium streaming service with original and licensed shows and movies you can’t find anywhere else. At only $10.99 per month, Showtime is affordable and definitely worth the price. We have the 5 best Showtime VPNs that unblock Showtime in New Zealand, but ExpressVPN always delivers the best experience. Subscribe to ExpressVPN today and start watching!
Leave a Reply